Hello Summer, it’s good to see you again.

23 May

I’M FREE!!!!!!!!!

That’s right folks; i’m officially on Summer vacation and it has never felt so good. I worked HARD this school year, especially with throwing in around 25 hours per week at a job. Am I a bit crazy? Perhaps. But I think a lot of you can relate…type A personalities are busy bees who have to do it ALL. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it is a bad thing. Nevertheless, I am very proud of myself and am so excited for all that this Summer has to offer.

Here is a look at what I want to accomplish:

• get into a routine workout schedule. -motivation has been lacking
  • cook more. –i’ve been relying on quick and easy things
  • spend time with friends. –school + work + being worn out has sadly limited this
  • strengthen my relationship with God. –this girl has inspired me :)
  • be nicer to my family. – I think that stress has gotten the best of me lately and therefore I have not treated the most important people in my life the way they deserve

other plans include:

• MEXICO!!!!!!!!! – My mom, sister, and I have a girls trip planned for an all-inclusive trip in June. *insert extremely big, hurts your cheeks, smiley face*
  • continuing my job. -working around 25-30 hours per week.

And who knows what other shenanigans will occur. ;) I have a renewed sense of happiness and am just feeling better in general. I just have a feeling that God is planning great things for me and I can’t wait to experience it!

So how bout some food?!

I’ve been enjoying Jenna’s very simple recipe for oatmeal pancakes:

IMG_0316

combine 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup egg whites, tsp baking powder, and cinnamon overnight. In the morning, add 1/2 smashed banana and cook it up on the stovetop. Then top with the other half of your banana, nut butter, greek yogurt, etc. Delicious!

Another delicious oatmeal combo:

IMG_0323

I cooked up 1/2 cup oats in water with maca, mesquite, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. While that was cooking I made an egg-white puff using 3/4 cup egg whites. Then I sliced it up into  small pieces with a fork and knife and mixed it into the oatmeal. Talk about VOLUME!!! love it. I also added 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and some Barney Butter for good measure.

April’s Overnight Muesli Bowl:

IMG_0302

Doesn’t the peanut butter look delish in that pic?!

Another april inspired dish:

IMG_0303

I made her cauliflower mash with a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli and topped it with a garlic and mozzarella chicken sausage from Sams. I am addicted to these things!!

April, you know I have to make everything you come up with, so you shouldn’t be surprised to see this combo here, LOL.

Snackage:

IMG_0305

greek yogurt with naner!

One of my favorite Summertime dinners:

IMG_0311

Spiralized zucchini with Marinutta. Thanks HEAB!

I got this idea from my lovely friend, Janetha!

IMG_0314

Sweet potato with cottage cheese and peanut butter = match made in Heaven.

Post workout drink of choice?

IMG_0319

Why, a protein green monster of course!

Today I got in a great workout consisting of my ab work plus an interval routine on the treadmill. My ab work was a bunch of random moves, nothing planned really…and it was fun that way! Something that I have learned lately? Rarely do things ever go as planned. And being a huge planner myself, I often find this frustrating. So I am trying to let go more, and NOT plan. If there is no plan, then there is no disappointment if things turn out differently. Live in the moment everyone! And just choose to be happy. It makes things much better, promise.

Time to go and do…whatever comes to me! Have a wonderful day!

Something to get excited about: Fitnessista’s Summer Shape Up starts tomorrow morning! Yippee!

20 Responses to “Hello Summer, it’s good to see you again.”

1. The Fit Collegiate May 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Wow, I can’t believe you’re on summer vacay already! Congrats, that’s an awesome feeling. Enjoy your first few days of freedommm!

2. Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

Congrats on surviving the school year. Sounds like you have a fun summer awaiting you, especially with the all girls trip to Mexico. Ah, that sounds amazing!

So glad you’re enjoying the marinutta! CD will be so happy to hear as I must give him all the credit for that one.

Best of luck with living in the moment. I’m such a planner too, and struggle with that one a lot myself.

P.S. I love those chicken sausages! :)

3. april May 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

Hehe, I love when you make my recipes! I feel so honored! I love those chicken sausages.. sooo yummy!

And sad story- I go back to school tomorrow!

• Sweet Cheeks May 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

aww sorry you have school darling! Keep your head up!

4. Katie May 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

April always has the best recipes!!! Love her yums!!!

I love Jennas pancake you made too! looks delish as ever!!!!

5. Jenny May 24, 2010 at 12:53 am #

I **heart** all the bloggie love in this post!! Seriously, 99% of my foodie consumption is inspired by a fellow blogger. Don’t know what I would do without y’all!

CONGRATS ON FINISHING UP SCHOOL, lovepie!!! Sweet relief, no? Enjoy your time off!

• Sweet Cheeks May 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Hehe, blogger food creations are addictive! I can’t help but make ALL of them!!!

6. Gina G May 24, 2010 at 2:35 am #

Congrats! My last day of highschool is June 4th =P

i know exactly what you mean about the plans thing, i need to work on it too =)

have a great night girl!

7. kbwood May 24, 2010 at 6:00 am #

yayaya congrats!
    LOVE your summer meal! i really may get a spiralizer!!!

• Sweet Cheeks May 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

spiralizers are AMAZING!!!! You will not regret it!

8. Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 24, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Yay for being DONE!! Feels so good, doesn’t it? Those are some awesome summer goals…I’m starting the Fitnessista’s challenge today too!

9. highonhealthy May 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Mexico is going to be so much fun!! Especially since it’s just a girls trip. :D

That pancake looks yummy.. and simple. I like simple things so I’ll probably give it a go.

10. janetha May 24, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

YES you tried the SP combo. so good! i love all your bloggie inspired shenanigans going on in this post.

p.s. you put an extra letter in my name ;)

xo!

11. therabbitrunner May 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm #

wow that is a crazy work schedule for a high school girl! I am the same way with my family when I am stressed – they always get the heat :\

ahh thats so exciting you want to go into nutrition too!! please feel free to email me anytime!!

ps. gorgeous hair. must be all the GM

12. Jenna May 25, 2010 at 12:08 am #

Sounds like a great summer to me! Enjoyyy it :)
    great looking eats!!’

13. CourtandWhit May 25, 2010 at 2:52 am #

woah, the sausage from sam’s looks the best! lol We’re excited for The Fitnessista’s summer shape-up plan too, and we’re thinking about starting our own from a teens perspective.

• Sweet Cheeks May 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

I’m going to read your Summer Shape Up right NOW!!! Good job girls!

14. Jennifer May 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

I am so excited that you’re back and you’re done with school for the Summer! I really did miss your posts. I’m mostly excited about you wanting to strengthen your relationship with God. It is no question that Katie inspires us all to be better Christians. Have a great Summer my dear!