Not Natural

5 Sep

*rant warning*

You want to know what’s not natural? This Chemistry formula, copied right out of my notes from yesterday’s lecture:

Chem

Um, come again?

Shoot me now. I did it once before for Chem I, I can do it again…right? Blahhhhh!

Don’t get me wrong; I like to learn. I’m all about learning…when it’s something I truly care about or is actually useful to me in some way or form. Will I ever use anything I have learned in Chemistry in my future field of Dietetics? HIGHLY UNLIKELY. This is where I get extremely frustrated because I am busting my butt for absolutely nothing but to achieve a certain sacred letter grade that deems me as “qualified” to receive my degree. What exactly does this quality me for? I guarantee you my future clients/patients will not care in the least bit whether I know how many carbon molecules are in A sub B to 50th power. Sorry Chem, but I’d rather poke my eyes out than try to understand your gibberish ways.

*and rant over*

Ah-hem, sorry about that. Now that I’ve got off my chest, let’s move along to something a bit fun. It is Wednesday after all, so here are a few recent eats that I can contribute to this week’s edition of What I Ate Wednesday:

Breakfast

a “katie pizzert” was this morning’s breakfast of choice. Gosh I love that girl.

Anyone remember having “dessert fruit pizza” as a kid? (or adult, no shame in that. no shame at all)

NewImage

If you haven’t gotten the opportunity to try a magic slice of this Heaven, it is basically a giant baked cookie dough base topped with a cream cheese frosting and then a layer of fruit. Oh yeah. There are not too many “sinful” desserts that I crave anymore. I always eat what I *want* and my body mostly wants good, healthy, nourishing foods. Plus, I would say I’ve gotten pretty good at mastering some healthier dessert options (fudge bowl? cheesecake? ice cream?) that fuel my body and taste delicious, without leaving me with a sugar crash. But this is one dessert I don’t think I would want to pass up. And hey, that’s totally okay! It’s all about the balance. I remember having it on special occasions growing up and it. was. amazing. It was even my “birthday cake” one year!

So anyways, I got to thinking about it and decided that I wanted to make a healthified breakfast version of this dessert. It turned out pretty darn tasty if you ask me!Β Check Katie’s blog for specific (and easy!) directions, but here is what went into mine:

Breakfast Pizza:

• 55 grams whole wheat pastry flour/ oat flour mixture (a little over 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 1 packet stevia
  • dash of cinnamon
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder

cream cheese frosting:

• 1/2 cup greek yogurt
  • 10 grams vanilla protein powder (about 2 tbsp) Β (a thick one, like casein, works best)
  • 2 tbsp cream cheese
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • dash of stevia, if needed

Top with fruit of choice. Banana, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, and grapes all work very well for fruit pizzas.

Lunch

sweet and savory zucchini muffins, wrap with chicken, sauteed veggies, spinach, and cream cheese

Snacks

turkey muffins. quick and easy for on the go!

kiwi, cottage cheese, pumpkin bread with almond butter and peanut butter

Dinner

fried rice with chicken? Don’t mind if I do!

*side note: every Tuesday afternoon at work, the cooks make fried rice in the dining center. Myself and a few other cool people always make sure to “test it out” to make sure it’s up to standards. It’s a tough work life let me tell you. But somebody has to do it.

So that always brings on the chinese food cravings and decided I needed to try my own hand at it. This recipe does not disappoint! I adore the eggy pieces…my favorite part!

Dessert

Made a another peanut butter brownie recipe! I’ve made these before and they really do taste like peanut butter eggs. Β And of course, it went along with some peanut butter ice cream…

1/2 cup blended cottage cheese, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 serving peanut flour, 1/4 cup almond milk, stevia, vanilla extract, grind of salt

Good stuff.

And now my stomach is grumbling so it’s time for dinner. Happy Wednesday and happy eating!

15 Responses to “Not Natural”

1. Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness September 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

PB and chocolate is my favorite combination! I need to try out those brownies!

2. Tracey September 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Kristi that breakfast pizza looks awesome! So I can sub oat flour instead of whole wheat flour..or did you use both? Also, what kind of pan do you use and how long and what temp did you bake this lovely creation?

• Sweetly Fit September 6, 2012 at 12:01 am #

I used both. You can use whatever flour you want though. I linked to the original post if you want to see more info on it and other variations! But I baked mine in a pie pan type of thing for 10 minutes in an UN-preheated 420 degree oven.

3. Tracey September 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

Oh, and did you make that ice cream in your ice cream maker?

• Sweetly Fit September 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

No I always make my ice cream like this: mix together, freeze in the back of the freezer for 2 hours, set out for 10-15 minutes, and then blend with a hand/stick blender until ice cream consistency. It’s the real deal!

4. caloricandcrazy September 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

That breakfast pizza looks amazing!
    Ah, chemistry. I can see why a dietetics major would cringe, but a nutritional biochem. major would def. need to know this I suppose :P!

5. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

Ugh chem sucks. I took AP in high school and it just about killed me.

6. Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 6, 2012 at 4:38 am #

Ohhh wow do I not miss chem. I haven’t had to take it since high school, and thank goodness because I absolutely hated it. But at least you have a lot of tasty eats to fuel your brain through it :D You’ve seriously got me craving fried rice with chicken… and it’s like 11 PM so there’s no way I’d be able to make it without passing out from exhaustion first. Drat.

7. Sable Weisman (@SquatLikeALady) September 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

I do NOT miss chem! If I ever have to take another chem class I just quit, I think. It’s the worst class!

8. jessielovestorun September 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Come be my personal chef pleasee?? :)

9. Courtney September 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Ugh… chemistry. :((( Your eats look good, though! :D

10. Lisa September 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Ick ha ha. I like Chemistry, but agree it doesn’t have much to do with anything you will teach later on;)
    That breakfast pizza is so pretty, I want to make one asap.
    And the “ice cream” with PB brownie looks amazing. You have me craving some like whoa.

11. KatsHealthCorner September 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Dessert pizza for breakfast is always a good idea in my book. ;) I’m sorry the chemistry is driving you crazy. I hope it starts making sense soon for you! :)

12. FitnJess September 9, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

I always loved the fruit pizza growing up!! I need to bring it back! Also, I agree it is so stupid to have to learn certain concepts in chem for dietetics and be expected to obtain a specific grade so you can graduate. You really will not ever need to know much about chemistry for a career in dietetics, only the basics really. Its just the surface you need to know, not all the stupid calculations and crazy equations! Hang in there girl!

13. julie September 15, 2012 at 3:22 am #

oh my god your greek yogurt ice cream looks amazing!!! i miss greek yogurt waahh :( yay for turkey muffins!! xoxo