A New Diet

24 Mar

I have NO food pictures for this post. Shocker, I know.  But I do owe you all some explanations.

I know I have been very vague about what has been going on health-wise with me since the beginning of the year and the main reason is because for the majority of the time nobody KNEW what the heck was wrong with me. Through this experience, I have definitely lost a lot of faith in medical doctors and if I’ve learned one thing it is that you have to trust yourself. I was told I just have anxiety…or depression…or I’m just playing it up in my head. And if none of those, well then I surely had an eating disorder.

After months of struggling, and having to drop out of my classes for the semester (yup), I finally started to get some answers which led to two things:

1. surgery to remove my ill-functioning gallbladder

2. being diagnosed with a gastrointestinal disease

Had we figured out #2 before doing #1, I may not have had to go through surgery and be gallbladder-less for the rest of my life. That was thanks to trusting our so-called medical professionals and doing what they thought would “fix” things. Oh well, can’t look back and regret.

So I begin some treatment prescribed by the doc, taking a STRONG antibiotic for starters, once again killing off my beneficial bacteria and only making my stomach issues worse. After running around in circle after circle with general doctors who seem baffled by what is going on inside my body, I recently decided to try a different path. I went to an alternative medicine practitioner. The day of that appointment was the first time I felt hope. He was able to make completely perfect sense of EVERYTHING I have been experiencing. He didn’t look at me like I was crazy. He knew exactly what to do. This was extremely comforting…and it didn’t hurt that he was an incredible sight to look at. Blonde, strong, and a brain to go with it?! Okay I’m getting side-tracked.

So to make a long story (slightly) shorter, I have begun an herbal medicine and healing diet plan under his instructions in order to take care of this infection and heal my suffering stomach and colon. So what exactly does this diet entail? Well some of my Pinterest followers may have noticed my new paleo board….

The Healing Diet, in a nutshell, is basically a paleo way of eating. It eliminates  all sources of irritants (at least initially) including:

• grains
  • dairy
  • soy
  • sugar AND alternative sweeteners (yes, that includes stevia!)

I focus on these:

• proteins! eggs, all cuts of chicken, beef, lamb, pork, etc
  • fats! everything coconut, heart healthy oils, nuts and seeds (not peanuts, at least initially), avocado, and real butter. mmm.
  • veggies! Lots and lots of them. have them as much as possible and eat a rainbow!
  • fruits! in moderation

This aims to re-set your blood sugar, detox you system, and get your cravings in check. After 2 weeks, you can begin to play “detective” by adding in one single thing at a time to see if it causes anything unfavorable. Then you know that’s a no-no. Today is Day 3 and honestly, I’m feeling pretty great. I am by no means back to normal yet, but I feel that I am at least on the road to recovery now.

I intend to start loosing documenting my food and experience with this new lifestyle change so be ready for the blog to take a new turn! I never thought I would catch on to the whole paleo movement, but here I am; totally on board. Again, I just have to laugh at how quickly things can change!

Last but not least, thank you again to all of you who have been there supporting me! Things have been tough, but if you have friends, family, and God with you, nothing seems impossible.

10 Responses to “A New Diet”

1. Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) March 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Oh my goodness, what a ride you’ve been on…. I’m so sorry about the surgery and the health complications :( I know you’ll get through all this and here’s to a healing new diet to help you feel your best!

2. Tara March 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Kristi, I’m sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. About six months ago I made the switch to Paleo. Like you, I never thought it was a train I wanted to get on – I didn’t want to be restrictive. But I wanted to do something to fix my health and my hormones. My hormone profile has improved dramatically since beginning Paleo and I’ve never felt better. It can be scary, especially when you have uneducated doctors trying to point you in another direction (with me, they just wanted to pump me full of more hormones!), but it sounds like you have a great practitioner behind you. I too have digestive issues that doctors are baffled by, so I know how you feel (although I’ve never had to have surgery for it – that must have been awful). I wish you all the best on your new journey!

3. Kaila @healthyhelperblog! March 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Sorry you’ve had to go through all this Kristi! Not getting answers can be so frustrating! But at least you’re finally headed in the right direction! I just feel so bad because it must stink cutting out foods that you really like! Hopefully you’ll be able to add them back in after the two weeks are up….keep us updated!

4. Lisa March 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going through this! Hearing all these different alternatives, but never hearing answers can definitely be frustrating, I’m glad to hear you’re finally getting some answers though. I can relate to a lot of the food cutting/stomach issues, etc. I still have yet to hear more answers and as soon as my problems get a bit better, I get a flare up once again, it can be frustrating, and as of now I feel at a loss so I can for sure relate. Definitely keep us all updated beauty! If you ever need someone to listen, feel free to e-mail away.
    Thinking of you lots throughout this time!xo

5. allieksmith March 24, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Oh jeez, I am so sorry that you’ve had to go through all of this medical drama :( that is NOT fun. I went through something similar. I was having the worst stomach problems, and found out that I had a really bad stomach infection. I had to take insane antibiotics… it was awful. But the good news is that I got rid of the infection, so I’m sure your new diet will bring you healing! Sending prayers your way <3

6. Maria Tsialis March 25, 2013 at 7:20 am #

Good luck. Keep us updated so we can make changes

too. Finding it really hard to go paelocould do with real life tips

________________________________

7. sdorsay (itrainthereforeieat) March 25, 2013 at 11:44 am #

I’m so sorry that you’re going through this! I can relate somewhat — I started having pretty severe GI issues about 5 years ago, and spent about 2 years going through every type of testing — blood, colonoscopy, CT scans, etc, to get NO answers. I have made some dietary changes on my own, and my issues have not gone away but are at least manageable now. It can be so frustrating to never get a true answer, and I can’t believe you had to go through such a serious surgery!! At least you are on a good path now, and I’m so glad you were able to find such a good practitioner to help you! Stay strong girl!

8. plateitnclimb March 27, 2013 at 10:47 am #

WOW girl. I too have little confidence in our medical systems especially with uncommon diseases these days. I am really interested to see where you go and the path these changes take you on.

That doctor sounds awesome! My mom sees someone like that for a finger she lost movement in due to an injury and he has done wonders! I think they care more and take the time to find out what is wrong.

Good luck on this journey, and I hope recovery comes quickly and brings back things this has taken away (like school!)

9. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

Wow. I hope this works for you!

10. KatsHealthCorner April 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

“Things have been tough, but if you have friends, family, and God with you, nothing seems impossible.” That is my favorite line of this whole post. :) I hope this healing diet helps you figure out what works for your body so you can find that balance within yourself. :)