I have been working on perfecting banana bread for a long time. I’ve made some decent ones before, but they weren’t quite like the real deal. You know, the kind you had when you were a kid. Rich, buttery, full-on banana flavor. Then I went Paleo on doctor’s orders and I thought for sure I would be kissing goodbye my chances of ever making that perfect banana bread, or any kind of bread for that matter. Turns out I was wrong, wrong, wrong. THANK GOODNESS!
Definitely the biggest misconception about eating Paleo or Primal is that it is restrictive; it actually means delicious nourishing food, all day every day. Sign me up! It just takes some time to get familiar with a new way of eating, that’s all. In my experience, eating this way has opened up a whole new door of delicious foods that I wasn’t eating before! And along with that…better health.
So go ahead and try out this recipe, my favorite banana bread yet, and feel good about eating it! In my case, I should feel really, really good seeing as I ate the entire loaf myself.
My Favorite Grain Free Banana Bread
A perfect side to eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, spotted
- 1 cup sifted coconut flour*
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter (or coconut oil), melted
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla
*I buy my coconut flour from Wilderness Family Naturals and theirs seems to be already sifted; light and fluffy. If you use a different brand, you will want to sift it well, otherwise your bread will come out more dense.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Grease a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil and set aside
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl and add in the rest of the wet ingredients
- Combine dry ingredients in another
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Make sure the coconut flour is mixed in well; I use an immersion blender with the whisk attachment on low speed for this
- Pour into greased loaf pan and set in oven
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until top is a nice golden brown color
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack
- Slice and spread with butter for ultimate deliciousness