How do start off a post after not blogging for a solid 4, almost 5, months? Yikes. In all honesty, that time has felt like the blink of eye. Life has been very busy to say the least, which meant no room for blogging. I kept trying to figure out a post to explain this, but I never wanted to write that “goodbye” post. Instead, I took a much-needed break, realized how much I missed it, and am now hoping to ramp up the ol’ blog for another go! I am home for the whole week on Thanksgiving break, which means I actually have a few minutes to do something other than school work on the computer. It feels quite strange at the moment.
A lot has happened since we’ve last talked so first, a few highlights to get caught up:
1. I made substantial progress in my healing process, thanks to being faithful to a lifestyle change and close collaboration with my holistic doctor. Wow, I’ve really opened up a whole new door in the world of health and nutrition. Comparing how I lived and what I ate from a year ago, with what I now do, is completely different! It is really cool to see how nutrition continues to evolve. I’ve gotten back to more traditional ways of doing things and realized how smart our ancestors really were. Eat like them and you’ll be in good shape! The Paleo/Primal lifestyle was off-putting to me at first, as I thought it sounded too restrictive or boring or hard. Fortunately, with time, it became second nature and I found out that when I focused on what I WAS able to have, I had all the variety I could possibly want. More importantly, I had all I needed to provide my body with what it needed to feel great.
Today I still follow a mostly grain free diet that is high in fat, salt, and sugar. No, that wasn’t a typo! This is how my view of what nutrition looks like has changed. Those 3 things are something we need to function properly, but it’s about choosing the right kinds! My fat comes from things like pastured grass fed animals, coconut oil, lard, butter/ghee, and occasionally other dairy fats (milk, cream, whey protein) from grass fed animals. My salt is unrefined and full of essential minerals, like this one. My sugar comes from fruits, vegetables, (especially sweet potatoes, squash, and plantains!), and also local raw honey or real maple syrup. In addition, I get good amounts of protein from good quality sources. I have expanded on the types of protein I eat now, and tried new-to-me nutrient dense options such as liver, beef heart, and even tongue! Did I loose any readers after that one? It is these very parts of the animal that are in-fact the most nutritious and yet many times they are just thrown away and seen as useless!
So my eating has changed and been greatly expanded, in a way that I believe is helping my body to thrive while also being able to satisfy any possible craving I may get. If you know me at all, you know that I like to creative with what I eat. Well I was up for the challenge this past year. Donuts, brownies, cakes, and more have all still been enjoyed! Oh yes.
More to come on all of that.
2. I moved back to my university town and moved into a new house…with 5 roommates.
Due to the state of my health almost a year ago, I was forced to move back home and take my classes online. I was fortunate enough to not fall behind in my mission towards becoming a Registered Dietitian, and I picked right back up with things. The new living situation has been…interesting. There’s bound to be interesting situations with 6 girls under the same roof after all.
3. I enrolled in a challenging semester of courses, namely studying the Human Body.
I am about two weeks away from finishing the semester and there will be a major celebration and victory dance once it is done. Whew!
4. I celebrated my 21st birthday on August 21st.
Yep, I’m all grown up.
5. I am one week (or less) away from becoming an aunt! …to what I’m quite positive will be one handsome baby boy.
That brings us to the present! (plus or minus a few details, but close enough)
From this point, I won’t be on any blogging schedule really, but I do definitely have more to share, so stay tuned!
Tomorrow will be a thanksgiving food post!😉